May 17, 2008

Yarn as sedative

Having made my living off pharmaceuticals (the legal kind) for years, I would be the last to disparage them. But I've discovered something even better than Xanax (although just as addictive), and I bet you have too. . . pretty yarn.

I've also expanded my horizons and tried new yarns. Recently I decided to see what this whole Loopy Groupie thing was about. The Loopy Ewe is a wonderful source of yarn! I purchased a skein of Chewy Spaghetti and another of Perchance to Knit's lace. Lookee here:


The colorway is Cocoa and Gingersnaps, with a fibery mix of 50/50 merino and tussah silk. I can't get enough of the colors. . . .

There are plums and olives and occasional golden streaks all playing against a background of milky and tawny browns.

Such a magnificent yarn demands an equally gorgeous pattern, and one I've been admiring is Rosemary's Muir. Muir has developed quite a following on Rav, as well as interesting variations hit upon by Rosemary since the pattern's original publication in the fall 2007 Knitty. There's a Faroese version, in addition to several ways to incorporate beads.

I started Muir late Thursday night, and after a couple of false starts, I've gotten into a knitting groove. More to follow.

**Photos courtesy of Sheri at The Loopy Ewe

1 comment:

TheBlackSheep said...

Just as addictive as Xanax? I would have said more.