February 13, 2007

Am I just plain wrong?

Yesterday the administrative team at my job had a four-hour meeting with a consultant so we administrators could learn how to conduct meetings. True! One of the contested items was what sorts of groundrules should one, as the meeting leader, consider as appropriate. As a knitter, I was more than dismayed to hear that knitting was heaped together with blackberry-obsessing, e-mail-checking, gum-smacking behavior that meeting leaders abhorred. I rallied to my fellow knitters' cause, to no avail. Must knitting during meetings be lumped together with the aforementioned activities as workplace-related unaccceptable behavior? What have others experienced? Am I just plain wrong about knitting's acceptability during a business meeting?

1 comment:

FemiKnitMafia said...

Of course, I think that knitting during a meeting is fine if you actively participate and look up often. But it seems that non-knitters find it unfathomable that we can listen while knitting. In fact, I listen better if I'm knitting. Poor muggles. They just don't get it.