January 7, 2007

"Sharp Objects" cuts like a knife

Last night I stayed up way past my bedtime to finish a great book: Sharp Objects: A Novel. This first novel by a very talented writer, Gillian Flynn, is eerily compelling and oh so creepy! I was trained as a pharmacist (I have both a BS in Pharmacy and a PharmD), and although I haven't practiced in years (and years! I make my money doing something else) I still recognize and appreciate when a work of fiction gets the medical and pharmaceutical details accurately. This book does so much more than that, however. If you enjoy psychological thrillers and don't mind a very flawed protagonist, this book may be for you. [Spoiler alert: the "reviews" at amazon.com give much of the story away, so avoid them if you plan to try the book.]

No comments: