January 20, 2008

Knitters on a Train

We wear our hearts on our sleeves. And around our necks. And around the necks and feet and hands and head of everyone we love. Have you ever walked into a room and immediately known who the knitter is? I did yesterday. Alan and I took the NJ Transit train from New Brunswick to Penn Station to see two exhibitions at the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC, the Art of Time and Tibetan Arms and Armor.* Superb exhibits both, and we wandered around elsewhere before sensory overload occurred. But while waiting for the train into New York, my eyes landed on a woman who was sporting a lovely handknit scarf. Before you knew it, we were knit-chatting. She asked what I was kniting (see below), I asked if she's on Ravelry, (she is), and we were off! My fellow knitter and her two knit-knowledgeable but non-knitter friends admired Alan's Besotted scarf and Rhinebeck sweater, which he was proudly wearing (TY my love!) and frankly needed given how cold it was in NY.

I was knitting socks for Daughter #2 via magic loop, which my new knit buddy was happy to see (she said that knitting with DPNs is like wrestling with a porcupine and she's right!). Just a plain vanilla sock on a size 2 fixed KnitPicks circ. The yarn is an oldie I pulled from my stash, DG Confetti superwash in colorway 39108. #2 is thrilled.



*Time and Armor photos copyright Metroploitan Museum of Art

No comments: