June 30, 2007

Ain't love the sweetest thing?

When I visited Alan in March, he had a surprise for me. He had asked his mum to teach him to knit! After listening to me going on and on and on about knitting, he decided to give it a go. This is a garter stitch two-color scarf that he had begun. His mum knits English style, so we knit differently, which was fun to see. His scarf has the requisite beginner's unintended buttonholes, increases, and decreases, but to me it is a work of art. Since March, I don't think he's knitted more than a stitch or two, just to shock my daughters, but it was still a lovely thing to do.

Alan's real interests do not include knitting, but rather an eclectic mix of bicycling, hi-fi (whatever that means), tea (like a good Brit; did you know the "right way" to put milk in your tea is to put the milk in the cup before the tea? Try it. It tastes different!), cryptic crossword puzzles, griping about the differences between the US and the UK, etc. You too can learn about repairing one's turntable by soldering it at the kitchen table! Try Alan's blog.

Alan peruses the knitting blogs with me sometimes. His favorite, and certainly one of mine, is Brooklyn Tweed. But when I joined dishrag tag, he may have rolled his eyes a little. Just wait until I knit that tea cosy from Knit 2 Together!


I leave you with another pic of Alan's First (and Perhaps Last) Scarf:

2 comments:

Heather said...

how adorable of him! i love the photos.

Free Range Chick said...

I love that Alan gave knitting a try to see why you loved it so much. I have to hide all of my knitting when my husband's friends come over. I looked to geeky beign domestic I guess.